Saturday, July 7, 2012

Am I totally horrible?



I have a confession to make.  When I was on holiday, the last day my friend had to leave at 6am to take the train back to the City.  So, I decided I would spend the day at the pool at the hotel instead of going to the beach.  It was great!  I had the whole pool to myself, and since I had to check out anyway, I brought the cooler and the food to the pool with me.  I would dip into the pool, lay in the sun, and repeat.  I was there pretty much the whole day, when all of a sudden I started getting hungry.  I had some lean, hormone-free, cold cuts and some low-fat cheese, and was munching away on cherry tomatoes.  Then I saw the bag of salt & vinegar chips I had picked up for my friend.  Usually, I would never eat something like this, but hey it was vacation, and they were the baked and "healthier" kind from trader joes.  Well there I am with my hand in the bag, when these two women walk into the pool.  They were probably over 250-300lbs each.  They were completely covered in long t-shirt dresses, and came in and took some lounge chairs by the pool.  I just froze with my hand in the bag while I watched them.  They made themselves comfortable, and began to relax.  They still had their dresses on, and it became clear they had no intention of taking them off even though it was about 95'F.
At that point it was like I had x-ray vision, and I could see what was hidden under their oversized dresses.  I began to see myself back before I started to loosing the weight.  I became, so upset that I took the bag of chips and walked over to the garbage can and threw them away.  I tossed them along with all the things I had given up by being overweight.  Hiding away from life.  There I was no different from them, except I had made a decision, seeing them was like seeing what would happen if I didn't keep moving forward.  I'm sure nothing would have had happened if I ate the chips, but seeing those women made me realize how far I'd come because sometimes when we have a long ways to go it seems like it's never enough and there's always so much more to go.  The only thing I knew is that I didn't want to go in the opposite direction.
I hope this confession doesn't make me a horrible person, but I wanted to share this with others who are struggling because no matter if you've lost 1 lb, it's 1 lb less from where you were and 1 lb closer to your goal!  Anyone can change their lives in an instant.  I know I'm no longer the 220 lb woman, but sometimes, it takes seeing another one to realize how far I've come, and how far they can go as well!

2 comments:

  1. omg... this is such a motivational and REAL post! Good job dear, you are not a horrible person at all, in fact, super inspirational. Amazing.

    It's true, you have come so far. Keep working hard, good decisions, no cheating! Amaazzing.

    Thanks for the post. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course it's not horrible. It's good for knowing that that's what you could have become and that you have changed for the better.

    ReplyDelete