Wednesday, May 9, 2012

My Own Food Pyramid


So, I've been transitioning out of Dukan into a more whole foods based diet.  I have incorporated a lot more fruits, vegetables and greens and am currently about 75% raw.  I have cut out all cow-based dairy products because after much research, this is not something I want to have in my body (hormones, antibiotics, puss cells, blood, etc...).  For similar reasons, I've given up red meat, pork, chicken and eggs.  To maintain my protein levels, I have seafood and very limited amounts of (raw) prosciutto and bresaola but I make sure it's imported and of high quality.  Same goes for sheep & goat milk, high quality and usually imported.  I also allow myself some amounts of beans, legumes, quinoa and oat bran, but again in limited quantities.  I can have nuts, seeds, olives and oils in limited amounts, and this is where most raw food diets fail because they use a lot of nuts, seeds and oils in recipes to compensate for the lack of meat in the diet.  It is not good to have high amounts of fats on ANY diet, so I keep this at a minimum.  This is the diet that seems to work best for MY body.
Every morning I have a green drink w/spirulina, chlorella, echinacea and wheat grass powders along with whatever greens, veggies and fruits I add to the drink, or rarely I'll have a fruit smoothie with almond milk and almond butter usually with berries and a banana.  I have cut out my morning coffee, and feel that my green drinks give me the boost I need to get me through to lunch.  I usually have some fruit as my snacks, and lunch is usually a salad or some raw recipe and fruit.  For dinner I usually have some seafood or an avocado recipe and some more raw greens.  I do allow myself some air popped popcorn once in a while, and feel this is a healthy version of a "cheat food".  I have drastically cut down on the alcohol, but do have a drink from time to time, but no more than two at a time, and usually just one.
I have noticed that since being on this diet (MY diet), my body is very sensitive to things like caffeine and alcohol, so I don't really crave them and only have them on social occasions.  Also, I should mention that the seafood I've been eating is mostly raw in the form of sashimi, oysters, ceviche (cooked w/acid from lemons), or (very low amounts of) cured meats like prosciutto or bresaola.
After a lot of research in many areas of nutrition, reading through a lot of diet books, and listening to my own body, this is the diet that I have created for myself.  This is a personal account of MY own diet, and not meant to be instructional, so any one attempting to adapt any of what I've written does so at their own risk, and should speak with a doctor first, just like starting any diet.
I will keep updating my progress, and let you all know how it works out for me, but so far I feel really great, I'm still losing weight, my nails are stronger, my skin is fresher and I don't seem to crave any of the forbidden foods- I guess that's because "I" determined what would be forbidden ;)

2 comments:

  1. I'm very happy that you have done research, I'll be honest. Some people transition out of Dukan and just do whatever they feel works and don't actually do any research which I think is critical.

    I have also transitioned out of Dukan but use it's core principals in my day to day life. I feel like the diet is great for giving you the tools to continue on with your healthy eating or weight loss, by modifying it to your daily needs as something you can follow for the rest of your life.

    Keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is actually very close to the low-Glyx diet! In Germany there is the LOGI Method, which is very popular ... it looks pretty much like what you are doing! If I'd like fruits and vegetables more (ore better: at all) I would do this!!!

    ReplyDelete