Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Day 4 PM :D

Well my new food choices have made a world of difference- I really should have gotten to the store before starting the diet, but oh well. I had more Chobani yogurt today- the vanilla kind- and it was a great thing to throw in because it was a nice break from all the savory food. Also, I didn't add ANY salt to today's food, so I feel less "over-salted". For lunch I had talapia, which wasn't so great without salt- I used garlic powder and a splash of lemon juice, but it was edible and it wasn't chicken or tuna, so I was content. I got most of my calories today from snacking, which made me feel really satisfied throughout the day. Also, I finally got the oat bran (bulk isle @ whole foods) and made the Dukan pancake-- it was also a welcome addition. Here's the recipe I used:


Dukan Pancake (2 servings)


1 egg

2 tbsp vanilla chobani

3 tbs oat bran


I ate one and put the other in the fridge for tomorrow, which covers my 1.5tbs/day oat bran requirement. I think next time I will use egg whites, plain chobani, and a little bit of vanilla extract and cinnamon. Also, this "feels" like carbs, so it makes a great side or would maybe even work for a sandwich if the pancake is cut in half. Ok, a mini-sandwich :p


Overall today was a great day- lots of energy, happy with my food choices, and got that sodium taste out of my mouth. I didn't drink as much water today, but I'll try to keep drinking on through the rest of the evening. I'm posting a bit early because I want to try and get to bed earlier too. I added the "Wellsley Farms - Honey Turkey Deli , 4 oz" to my snacks, but I haven't had it yet. Just have a feeling I might get hungry (so I put it in just in case). Over all-- I feel really good and looking forward to get on that scale tomorrow.


Speaking of which- I started using a food scale. I know it's a pain to weigh and measure food out, especially since the diet doesn't call for it, BUT I highly recommend using one if you have a lot of weight to loose. The reason being - if you're extremely overweight or obese, it's probably because you've lost perspective on portion control, and believe me, with cheesecake factory portions, a "NORMAL" portion looks like a joke, so you have to re-train your eyes/brain to learn what a real portion looks like- or the joke will be on you! Honestly, how many people know what 3oz of meat look like??? I didn't, and I've worked in a lab for 5 years.


I think it's important to incorporate these things into the diet to be as healthy as possible. Just because you don't "have to" do something on the diet (ie. count calories) doesn't mean you can't. The goal is NOT to be on a diet- the goal is to regain a healthy weight and a healthy lifestyle. I think that thinking of the process in this way will up the chances for permanent success. I have also been trying to read more nutrition books because I want to make healthy food choices, whatever phase of the diet I'm on. There are critics of an ALL PROTEIN diet (I was one), but honestly, staying obese is unhealthier in the long run. The pure protein phase is short enough where it shouldn't have any "major" long-term side effects (other than weight loss and the potential for dehydration-- just DRINK LOTS OF WATER). So, looking at it that way, it seems healthy enough once you get to phase II and can have veggies again. I've been taking a multivitamin, so I can supplement any nutrients I miss during phase I. Once it's time for phase II, I want to continue to make the healthiest food choices, I can realistically make, not just put something in my mouth because it's on some list. I look at the list more as a guide for NOT eating certain foods, not a free for all buffet.


As I've mentioned in previous blogs, my caloric intake has drastically decreased while on the Dukan, by just eating when I feel hungry and not just eating something because I can. For some reason, I thought the protein would have more calories, but now- (LIGHT BULB) -food labels are starting to make more sense (you know that part that says "SERVING SIZE") makes a big difference for carbs than for pure proteins. Check out how much fish I had for lunch (like 4 pieces) and look at the calories- 275!!! had it been 4 slices of bread, it would have been more like 350 cal, and for sure I would have been starving an hour later-- ta ding- lesson learned!!!


As you can see it really has been, and is, a journey and a learning experience, and all our bodies are different, so it's important to SEE (for me it's on this blog) what you're doing and what works, and more importantly what doesn't, so you don't keep getting frustrated.


I exercised today for a half hour and mixed it up by doing cardio and resistance training with weights, crunches, and stretching. Definitely got the heart rate going, and it felt great. There are tons of tutorials on YouTube- so you don't need nice weather or a gym membership, just time, commitment and motivation.


Till tomorrow.....


January 14, 2012

Foods

Calories

Carbs

Fat

Protein

Cholest

Sodium

Sugars

Fiber

Breakfast

Folgers - Coffee-1% Milk, 10 oz

46

5g

1g

3g

4mg

50mg

5g

0g

Truvia - Sugar Substitute, 1 packet

0

3g

0g

0g

0mg

0mg

0g

0g

Egg Land's Best - Large Natural Egg (White Only, No Yolk), 3 egg

51

1g

0g

11g

0mg

165mg

1g

0g

Dak Deli Ham 97% Fat Free - Deli Ham, 25 g

22

0g

1g

4g

0mg

223mg

0g

0g

Lunch

Fresh Talapia 6oz - Broiled, 11 oz

275

0g

6g

61g

0mg

132mg

0g

0g

Dinner

Generic - Chicken Rotisserie - Dark Meat (No Skin) - Corrected, 4 oz

193

0g

7g

30g

160mg

673mg

0g

0g

Snacks

Wellsley Farms - Honey Turkey Deli , 2 oz

45

1g

0g

8g

20mg

510mg

1g

0g

Chobani - Vanilla, Non Fat, 6 oz

120

13g

0g

16g

0mg

75mg

13g

0g

Generic - Protein Pancake - Dukan , 1.25 Pancake

139

19g

3g

16g

0mg

0mg

3g

4g

Wellsley Farms - Honey Turkey Deli , 4 oz

90

2g

0g

16g

40mg

1,020mg

2g

0g

TOTAL:

981

44g

18g

165g

224mg

2,848mg

25g

4g

Food Notes

Dukan pancake (1) = 0.3 egg (35cal) + 4oz yogurt (60 cal) + 1.5tbs oat bran (44 cal) = 1.25 Protein Pancake Dukan (139 cal)

Exercises

Calories

Minutes

Sets

Reps

Weight

Cardiovascular

Aerobics, general

158

15


Circuit training, general

195

15


TOTALS:

353

30

0

0

0

No comments:

Post a Comment